Friday, April 1, 2011

Haydenari of the Sin'Dorei


A World of Warcraft fan image. I wanted to do something "Mucha-esque" but without all the Nouveaux borders and what-not. I was also interested in using Naples Yellow for the hair as I had never used the paint before. I was pleased with the hair which I wanted to be a flat wash and only need the single application of the color to get the saturation I wanted. I also learned that it is an opaque watercolor (I'm glad I tested it on a scrap first....)

This image was also done on Arches new landscape watercolor block - a 4"x10" horizontal block designed with the outdoor painter in mind. Since I don't typically paint landscapes, I did my own thing with it.

2 comments:

  1. naples yellow is one of my fav colors for oil painting, the color turned out lovely for you. that block sounds really fun, i should look into it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I had never thought of using it before, but I saw this painting of a girl with light blonde hair and I couldn't figure out the color the artist used. When looking at my own selection I noticed a pan of Naples yellow and decided to try it out. It's a really good color for those subtle yellows. I will definitely use it more.

    ReplyDelete